Monday, December 1, 2008

Random musings of a Black Friday shopper

My family has always gotten up at the crack of dawn and gone shopping the day after Thanksgiving. I remember my mom waking me up at Grandma's, "Are you coming with us or not?" The answer was always yes. I would quick shower, get dressed and off we went. One year I was home from college. My mom and I got up SUPER early to get in line at Best Buy. They had some ridiculous buy on TV's and DVD players. Once we got in, I slept in the care till mom checked out.

Last year I suggested it to my husband. Money was tight (as always) and I said "We might be able to save a little." Well we bundled Jack up and off we went. It was pretty successful and he did really well. But knowing he is almost two shopping with him was out of the question. So Grandma Shorty to the rescue. Tom and I got up at 3:00 and were at Kohls by 4:00 when it opened.

This year I noticed several things.
  • People seemed to be more polite and accepting of the fact that others were shopping.
  • It is never acceptable to go out in public in pajama pants. For goodness sakes put on some sweats!!! I am okay with pony-tails, hats, sweat-shirts, etc. But DO not look like you could still be in bed. That's gross.
  • Parents will do just about anything for their kids, including standing in hour or more lines to buy the perfect gift.
  • X-Mas has gotten very expensive.

No comments: